Name of the Technology : ITAG Wheelchair
Disability Sector : Cerebral Palsy
Function : Mobility/ Holding aids, Exercise and recreation
Category of research : New technology/product (not existing in the country)
Brief description of the product/ technology:
ITaG (I Tilt and Go) wheelchair is a motorized wheelchair controlled by the body motion of the user. The conventional method of controlling a wheelchair with joystick is not suitable for many people with disabilities like Cerebral Palsy (CP), Quadraplegia. In this regard, a body motion controlled wheelchair has been designed, which detects gross body motion for input from body parts like head, trunk, hand, leg etc. to control the wheelchair. When the user moves their body forward, the wheelchair moves in the forward direction and when the user moves sideways, the wheelchair takes a turn.
The features of the wheelchair are as follows
1. Intuitive way of controlling the wheelchair
2. Wide range of body motions can be detected i.e. gross motion of body parts like head, trunk, hand, leg etc.
3. Fine body motions can be used to control the wheelchair e.g. 40 degree motion of the head can be used to control the wheelchair.
4. No additional attachments are required to the user.
5. Inexpensive design for body motion detection mechanism
1. Repetitive usage of body motion to control the wheelchair improves the body control of the user.
2. For children with CP, it provides additional advantage as it helps in improving cognitive understanding of the user.
Summarizing, I-TaG provides an alternate independent mobility means for people to control a motorized wheelchair, especially useful for people with disabilties like CP, Quadriplegia
Readiness level of the product/technology: Alpha level validated through user feedback
Anticipated time to reach the next readiness level: 3 to 6 months
Anticipated time for the technology/product to come in the market: 12 to 18 months
Any Hindrance(s) being faced w.r.t. the development of product/technology: Lack of Funds, Lack of Industry Partner
Anticipated cost: 35000/- (for pediatric ITaG wheelchair)
Vivek Sarda (Project Officer) Rehabilitation Research and Device Development (R2D2) lab,
Machine Design Section,#402,IIT-Madras,
Chennai - 600036.